Originally published by
A night to remember
Published by Flare on 2010/12/28
Chilled bubbly. A knockout frock. A divine date. Cocktail season is in full swing. Here’s how to host, and enjoy, a party like a pro:
1. Prepare the right amount of appetizers to last throughout the evening. Make bite-size snacks that avoid messy sauces. No one wants soy sauce on her sequins.
2. Create a house cocktail, both spiked and, for the designated drivers (and those who don’t wish to imbibe), alcohol-free.
3. Set the mood. Music should be playing when guests arrive (silence is always a mood killer). Create a soft glow by turning down the lights and filling the room with loads of inexpensive, unscented tea-light candles in clear or coloured glass holders. Decorate on a budget with seasonal accents such as fresh pine boughs, branches of berries and bright bowls of clementines.
4. Bring in some extra seating‚ stools, oversized pillows, easy chairs for guests to perch comfortably.
5. Why not set a dress code? Black, white and red is haute, and everyone loves to get glammed up for a party.
By Christy Wright
Originally published on FLARE
5 quick steps to hosting a stress-free bash
Beauty Director Juliette Baxter’s Top 10 looks of the season
The tired mom’s get-real guide to party prep
Avoid tipping the scale by using our calorie-count cheat sheet